Thursday, June 9, 2011

Mr. Abrahao's Birthday

June 7th 2011
Today is Mr. Abrahao's birthday and I am enjoying his decision to relax at home with good food and our little family. I made Banana Chunk Chocolate Cake- considering calling it Monkey Cake -this morning. It was a little too sweet at breakfast time from the chocolate frosting I put on it (the only thing pre-made so far today!). The cake itself was fluffy and definitely still edible, so I'm enjoying another "small" piece with my afternoon coffee.

Breakfast was an "old fashion" veggies scramble with toast, and of course coffee.

For lunch, homemade pizza! Dough, sauce and toppings all from scratch. I really wish I had had some good olive oil, but I still managed to create a healthy and yummy tasting red pepper, onion and garlic pizza; steamed broccoli on the side. Heitor asked if I could make more pizza for dinner. I haven't figured out how to do that without going to the store, but that's the fun of "creatively cooking". Possibly a fun story and some images to add to this post by the end of the night.

We haven't done any school today (so far), but the kids did a fun project for their dad's birthday. First they created a book out of old surf magazine pages and I helped them write down their story about surfer kids. Then this afternoon Kalani decided to decorate his puzzle as a birthday gift. I guess the "gift" is time doing the puzzle together :) Which Heitor will LOVE as all he has wanted to do today is play with them. I helped Kaila create a friendship bracelet and she picked out a few beads and a shell to put on it.

June 9th 2011
Today I made pizza again and remembered to take pictures. It was extra yummy thanks to a gift of fresh basil leafs a neighbor friend brought over last night. I think for this version, "the secrets in the sauce". It's a simple recipe- tomato, onion, garlic, salt, fresh herbs and a thickener-, but the chunky fresh flavors are enough on their own to spread over a simple, homemade crust.
Here is am image of the sauce before I spread it over my crust. I didn't worry about making it a smooth tomato sauce because again, I love the chunks of onion and garlic flavor we get from the final product.

I made two pizzas. I topped one with slices of tomato & fresh basil and the other with onion & red pepper. Both sprinkled with grated mozzarella cheese.





This is the tomato & basil pizza before           This is the onion & red pepper pizza
it went in the oven.                                        after coming out of the oven. I had some
                                                                    left over tomato slices, so I added them to
                                                                    this pizza.

HOME SCHOOL
Today we did math with raisins, creative story telling and short reading/writing work sheets.

PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
We walked down to the beach and played with hermit crabs and searched the tide pools as we walked along the rocks that are exposed at low tide.
The kids are headed out for a swim with their Papai, and Kalani has Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in a couple hours.

That's about all for our "Abrahao Adventures" today!

No comments:

Post a Comment